360 Worship

Worship from every direction

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Animal Farm: The Rules

Pin It

Making Reading a major goal of mine. I just finished another book (The Summer of Discipline Continues) Animal Farm by George Orwell. 

I love this book! I've read it before and decided I needed to read it again. The symbolism is great and speaks directly to early 1900s Russia.  However I think it speaks just as well in our time and perhaps for all time concerning the greed for power.  It makes me want to talk about it so here goes.

I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL THE BOOK FOR YOU. So be warned... This could be book spoiler stuff.


Central to the story are a list of rules that all the animals agreed upon.  A bill of rights for animals. Such would be designed to stop the over arching reach of power hungry individuals and a restrictive government. Here are the rules as they are written on the barn.

1. Whatever goes on two legs is an enemy.
2. Whatever goes on four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
3. No animal shall wear clothes.
4. No animal shall sleep in a bed.
5. No animal shall drink alcohol.
6. No animal shall kill any other animal.
7. All animals are equal.

How the laws were perverted...

1. In the end there are animals, who are in walking on 2 legs who are lording power over everyone.
2. Many animals are treated as enemies.
3. In the end the same animals that walk on 2 legs are also wearing clothes.

...and the following laws mysteriously changed their wording when animals would go back to the barn. The rights had curiously been changed...

4. No animal shall sleep in a bed with sheets 
5. No animal shall drink alcohol to excess
6. No animal shall kill any other animal without cause.
7. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

I find the loss of rights to be a scary thought. I can think of several off the top of my head that would have me real worried in a hurry.  Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, the right to assemble in public, right to bear arms... and so on.

I especially admire the creepiness of Animal Farm.  The stark cold awakening that the mindless animals had that "all animals are equal... but some are more equal than others."

I liked this book so much that I've already purchased George Orwell's 1984 to read later.

  • What right would you hate to see the government take away?
  • Have any book recommendations for me?


0 comments:

Post a Comment