360 Worship

Worship from every direction

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

It's NOT the most wonderful time of the year

Pin It
Pardon me for a gripe post, but this time of the year stinks.
Here is why..
No worries.  I’m not writing about how I hate Christmas (I don’t) or that materialism has taken over the season (it has!).  I’m not complaining about the business and bustle of Christmas shopping or the inundation of commercial advertisement and stupid car commercials where people act like their lives have been saved by a new car. Nor am I (surprisingly) not talking about how the Cowboys once again will be limping towards an 8-8 season (Why God why!? You know I’ve been praying for Tony Romo!). I’m not wild about fruitcake but am embarrassingly addicted to eggnog so that evens out. I don’t hate my extended family and actually like seeing them this time of year…
But still this season stinks.  Here’s why.   Stupid *bleepin* Daylight Savings Time.


Hate is a strong word… I try not to use it especially in writing… but I HATE daylight savings time.
One of the hardest things about doing ministry and being involved in the ebb and flow of other’s lives is the “Fall Back.”  The shifting of one hour effects the energy drastically.

It’s all about perception.

It gets dark so quickly.  It makes me feel like the day is shorter and the night is longer. It’s all about perception, but when my wife gets off work at 5 pm and there is several hours of daylight left we usually look at each other and “let’s go do something.”  When my wife gets off work and the sun is setting we usually fall on the couch and never leave it.  The difference is the daylight.

A big part of the ministry of Redemption Church is our Connect Groups. It’s a collection of small groups that meet throughout the area in homes.  Typically these meetings are high energy and a fun time of sharing, learning, and fellowshipping.  Connect Groups start at 7 pm and go to 8:30 so guess what the time change has done to us.  Attendance is limping, energy is funky (Not the George Clinton kind of P-Funk funky either), and the people who do come are looking around saying “What’s wrong with Connect Group?”

It’s strange how a shift of an hour can do this to our lives.

I was leading a CG in Irving, Tx last week and things were hopping!  Great energy and conversation and I was like “Oh Yeah!  Take that daylight savings!”  But then at 8:05 I had a lady get up and just leave the meeting because it was getting late.  We were doing great on time and ended the meeting actually ahead of schedule (8:20)… but that stupid daylight savings totally stole our thunder again.  Usually I have trouble getting people to leave (which is a good thing) but after the meeting the house cleared out in 10 minutes.
How important is energy?

When it comes to what we are doing, impacting hearts, intellects, & lives with a very alive Jesus, energy is premium. Anything that hampers that energy has to go!  We have made changes to the way we do ministry in order to get rid of energy killers.  Church services have been altered because the way we were doing them negatively affected energy.  But what to do about daylight savings?  Grrr! *shakes fist at the sky* *but not at God* *shakes fist at the daylight savings Angel*

What to do?
1. Stopping blaming Daylight Savings.  That’s fruitless!  *contemplates deleting entire post* *as I’m about to delete it a Chris Fluitt from the future time travels to my office and says “No, don’t delete that post.”  I say “Really? Is this post of some cosmic importance that will change the world?” Future Fluitt says “No.  I just hate to see you waste your time…” then he disappears* *true story* *why don’t you believe me?*

The real issue is people and culture!  Complaining about unchangeable things won’t bring change. Speaking to people and culture changes things.

2. Lead leader!  We need to be lead out of this funk.  Talk to your leadership team and say… “Here’s the problem…  Here’s what I want you to do and I’m open to other ideas.”

3. You know it is coming.  There are some problems that are seasonal. You should know they are coming every year.

So stop being reactive to the problem.  Be proactive!  Before the season comes address the issue.

4. Don’t be angry.  Remember that you have a hard time getting off your couch this time of year, so at the very least, understand why people are likely to stay at home rather than get out to Bible study or an evening service. Rather than spreading anger, spread encouragement. *Future Fluitt beams into the room and says “Good job” as he gives the thumbs up sign*

Are there any seasonal problems you deal with?  How do you handle them? Share your thoughts

0 comments:

Post a Comment